How To Feel More Fulfilled In Life
By: Lori Thayer
Want to feel more fulfilled in life? Sometimes we feel stuck on the hamster wheel always trying to get more done but wondering why we’re running? So often what we really need is to find our purpose, feel happy and fill our soul but we don’t know how to get there.
It’s easy to spend what little extra time we have trying to figure out how to get more done. But, at the end of the day is getting more done really going to make you happy and make you feel more fulfilled?
You’ve probably read tips on efficiency, multitasking and how to get more done on this website. It’s easy to focus on efficiency for our pressing day to day activities rather than really dig in and find the deeper meaning. We all feel the need to get more done but is this really valid? Does packing more into our day really bring more happiness, joy and greater fulfillment?
Take a moment to make a list of 5 things that really fulfill you. Don’t stress over it, just list what makes you happy, gives you purpose, and/or speaks to your soul.
Is it helping others, learning something new, seeing your children smile. This doesn’t have to be a comprehensive list or perfect. It is just a quick exercise to get you thinking about what things make you feel more fulfilled.
Here are the five I was able to come up with in two minutes:
- Sharing tips and information that help other people
- Learning to understand myself better
- Enriching my life by expanding my mind and learning new things
- Connecting with family and friends on a deep meaningful level
- Positively impacting the health of my family, friends, home and myself.
I have to say that just reading through this list brings a smile to my face.
Now that you have a list compare the activities that fill your day to the list. This exercise will help you start to identify which of those activities contribute to you feeling more fulfilled and which may just be time fillers.
For example, let’s say one of your items is to spend quality time with your children. If you spend hours each day driving your kids to their various activities but feel you never get a chance to talk to them something is out of balance.
Identifying where you are out of balance means you can then examine those areas and look for ways to make changes. For the above example possible changes are:
- Limiting your children’s activities, maybe they have too many
- Making more of an effort to connect with them while you drive them to/from their activities
- Participating in their activities as well, possibly by coaching or volunteering in some way
When we focus in on family, friends and what truly brings us joy and purpose we are happier. Spending your time on what makes you feel fulfilled will bring you long term life satisfaction.
Share your list of 5 things that make you feel more fulfilled in life in the comments below
|Disclosure: Please note that some of the links on this site are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. These are all resources that I am recommending because they are helpful and are companies that I trust, not because of the commissions that I may earn from you using these products. Please do not spend money unless you really need the resource and it will help you reach your goals.
Latest posts by Lori (see all)
- I lost Something, Now What - September 21, 2015
- Too many choices, Find Relief From The Overwhelm And Indecision With FasterEFT - September 19, 2015
- Back To School Stress Relief - August 13, 2015